Ways To Protect Yourself From Skin Cancer Right Now
- Generously apply a broad-spectrum water-resistant sunscreen with a SPF of 30 or more to all exposed skin when outdoors. The most effective sunscreens will include Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide in their ingredients.
- Wear protective clothing, such as a long-sleeved shirt, pants, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses where possible.
- Seek shade. The sun’s rays are strongest between 10 am and 4pm.
- Protect children from sun exposure by playing in the shade, wearing protective clothing, and applying sunscreen.
- Use extra caution near water, snow, and sand as they reflect the damaging rays of the sun which can increase your chance of sunburn.
- Get vitamin D safely through a healthy diet that may include vitamin supplements.
- Avoid tanning beds. Ultraviolet light from the sun and tanning beds can cause skin cancer and wrinkling.
- Do a monthly self skin-exam. If you notice anything changing, growing, or bleeding on your skin, contact a dermatologist.
- Watch our prevention video (above) to learn more and empower yourself with health knowledge!